Friday, October 23, 2015

Seahorses

Bailey, named after my friend's daughter
I have a seahorse tank.  I mean I have a saltwater aquarium that houses live seahorses.  There are also other things, but it's mainly for the seahorses.  I noticed a little bump on the nose of one of them a couple days ago.  Last time that happened, it was a bacterial infection we couldn't get rid of and the poor thing died after a few weeks of being treated with different things, none of them working.  I'm very disappointed to see it on this particular fish because she and her 2 brothers that we still  have were born in this tank almost a year ago.  I've raised them from day one.  My husband didn't seem very hopeful we could do anything helpful this time around either but he promised we'll still try. 


Simon, named after the doctor on Firefly
 I told my husband this morning that we have to try even harder to help them, because Bailey and Malcolm were showing signs of bonding. They had their tails hooked together and were wiggling their butts around. This is a good sign!  But it also means we might get more babies! That could be a bad thing though, because of the infection in the tank.  I don't want Malcolm to end up dying while pregnant!  And I don't want babies born into a festering bacterial pool. My husband has a few ideas of how to treat them this time around.  I just hopeit works.  I'll be devastated when these particular fish die, no matter how old they are!
Malcolm, named for the captain on Firefly

 Malcolm is also showing signs of infection.  He has air bubbles under his skin on his tail and has been hanging out at the surface which is unusual for seahorses.  There is less pressure at the surface so the discomfort is relieved when he stays up there.  Unfortunately, it also gives the bacteria more comfort to multiply and fester and cause more problems.  I am so very disappointed.  I just hope I can help them.

No comments:

Post a Comment