Friday, November 13, 2015

conferences and lace

Last night was parent/teacher conferences for my little prince.  Husband dearest stayed home with him while I went.  I had the best conference ever since he started school!  I was told that he occasionally has trouble focusing (I know) and that there are certain kids he has trouble playing with or relating to (I know) but that every time he was called on to answer a question he answered it correctly and without hesitation (yay!). I was also told he is not shy about speaking out in front of the class (yay!).  We went over his IEP and some of his goals are nearing completion (hooray!). My only real concern is that he doesn't show his teachers that he's learning.  They do a standardized test (don't get me started on that subject!) at the beginning of the year and compare results at the end.  My dear, clever, little prince charming knows that if he answers a question incorrectly on the computer, it gives him an easier question to answer.  He doesn't like math, he doesn't like figuring out answers.  He doesn't try on the computer, even though he can do it.  He'd rather guess or answer wrong on purpose to get an easier question.  He tested at about a Kindergarten level in reading, which is the most ridiculous thing it could say!  His reading isn't fluid or smooth, it's a bit choppy, but he reads very well and understands what he reads, though he has trouble retelling.  The issue here is that even though he understands, he can't retell.  That makes it look like he doesn't understand. His teachers were shocked when I told them he could pull this on them.   It never occurred to anyone that a kid would do this. He freely admits it, so I know it's true, not just my maternal instincts screaming that my child is better than they tell me (though they are!). He's had a very good week in school, according to his behavior report. Unfortunately, this year they are marking his behavior as 0 if he doesn't bring his report to class.  This upsets me, because it says he isn't meeting his goal of 80% when in reality he is.  Enough of my mother bear impression!

I have started working on some lace for the sweater I inherited from Aunt J.  I didn't have any matching thread so went with white. It's a dark red sweater with fake buttons down the front that I'm thinking of snipping off.  I think this lace on the bottom of these towels is pretty, and wide enough of a band to cover my belly when I raise my arms.  I'm short waisted so it's usually not an issue, but these are a bit shorter than I'm comfortable with! I'm a bit old to be wearing a belly shirt! It isn't cute anymore ;-)

I do have some graphs to generate for a few customers that want to make afghans so I should get off this blog and do some real work.  I'm hoping to finish that lace later today so I can sew it on the sweater and make it wearable for this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment