Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Teacher meeting

I met with the Little Prince's teacher today. He told me that Jordan was having issues focusing his attention on his classwork and instead wants to run around the room and climb on tables, etc. It was the same conversation we had at conference time. I asked again what I could do to help but was told "just keep doing what you're doing" as if that's an answer! I signed a paper saying it was ok to have an occupational therapist observe little prince charming. I don't know what good that will do, but the sp. ed. teacher thought she should have a peek at him so I signed it. I told the teacher that I didn't like how he kept saying Jordan "can't" do something unless someone is there prompting him. I prefer "won't." I also reminded him that my personal goal is to have Jordan fit in with the rest of his class and I thought his attitude was kind of a cop out. Not my original words, but I believe he grasped the sentiment. He had told me that the gap in Jordan's behavior vs. classmates' behavior was going to continue to grow and I told him I was told last year that after a couple years he would be right where he was supposed to be. He told me I was lied to. I still choose not to believe this. I think that if the teacher believes this he isn't trying as hard as he should to get Jordan's behavior up to grade level, or even appropriate age level. He said Jordan functions as a 3 year old. And "there's a reason 3 year-olds don't go to school." The Sp.Ed. teacher was very helpful though. She gave me specific goals she wants on the next IEP and ideas to reach those goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment